Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's day


Here in the UK today (Ed: and US as it turns out), it was Father's Day. I actually remembered the day for my father and sent him a card and gift. My kids came in to wake me this morning and deliver cards, gifts and chocolate. It was nice, I just wish I hadn't drunk a bottle of wine last night on my own. I was a little bit tired and probably still had alcohol going around my system. I went back to sleep for a bit after they had gone.
For lunch it was my treat to my family, so I took them to eat at the local Chinese buffet, my son loves the food there. I really enjoyed the duck pancakes with Hoisin sauce I started with today. You can easily eat too much when the food is help yourself, I managed to eat with some self control and left the place with some dignity. It was quite busy due to Father's Day, lots of folks eating with their fathers.
My wife worked out that I've been a dad for 4,382 days. That seems like a lot of days to me. It doesn't really feel that many. I don't think I'm a shining example of a dad, I do hope my kids remember me more for my good points than my bad ones. We learn from our own parents and I have some bad habits I picked up from my own parents, notably the ability to be fiercely annoyed one minute and fine with everything the next. My parents are loving and kind and were like that when I was young, I do remember some episodes when they got annoyed though. I suppose that can't be avoided. It's hard being a parent and difficult to analyse your own behaviour when you're trying to juggle lots of things at the same time.
Anyway, here's a shout out to all the good father's out there.

4 comments:

laura b. said...

I'm glad you had a happy Father's Day. You seem like a very caring and supportive father. Your kids will remember that, for sure.

FW said...

LB: Thanks, I hope you're right. At least I hope they understand and forgive my foibles when they're my age.

Tara said...

Your kids love you, so you're doing something right! :) Happy Belated Father's Day, FW!

It was a good idea to go back to bed for awhile after the wine night. I've done that too, and in the morning I wonder what I was thinking when I partied too much.

Chinese food is soooo good. I miss having a regular buffet in town, but maybe that's the best way for me to practice self control.

FW said...

Tara: Thanks! Yes, I needed some more sleep time. It's so easy to go back for "one more plate" at those Chinese places and that's usually a mistake! At least that food is not going to come so easily to you without a buffet being near.