Sunday, February 28, 2016

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

It's been years since I have watched the original BBC TV adaptation of the radio series The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. My son mentioned something about it yesterday and it got me to thinking about whether they released it on DVD, I assumed they must have. It has past me by if they did. However, while out shopping yesterday I decided to try and find out and in HMV I found a copy. I decided to buy it and last night watched the first two episodes with my son.

I really enjoyed the series when it was first broadcast 35 years ago (ouch!), when I was 13: the same age as my son is now. The special effects are not up to today's standards and the idea of an electronic book was not something that was readily available in those days. So, culturally there are quite big differences. However, I think the excerpts from Encyclopaedia Galactica and the Hitchhiker's Guide are very well done and stand up well even today. The acting is slightly wooden but still amusing nonetheless.


No comments: