Saturday, October 17, 2009

Weekends

I was just musing, what if weekends didn't exist? What if, the powers of economic determination forced everbody in the working world to accept, as the 'norm', a 7 day week? The only days off work being those taken through holiday. What would that do to holiday days? If it was the case that we got the same number of days for holiday as we get for weekends would that be so bad? It would be like taking a weekend whenever you wanted. Who invented weekends anyhow? There must have come a point between the cavemen and the businessmen of today when somebody said, "Hang on. We're working our employees into the ground with this 7 day week, let's give 'em a couple of days to make 'em feel like they've got a life". Why only 2 days for a weekend? Who decided that particular regimen? I'd prefer to work 3 days and rest 4 days. I'm sure I would be a better worker, the reduced week would ensure I made every minute count. How many employees can truly say every minute counts with a 5 day week?

3 comments:

laura b. said...

I've often said I'd even work more hours in a day...the way some nurses and other professions do...like a 4/40 week. I'd be into that for the three days off.

Tara said...

I would probably be a better worker if we were given three days off for the weekend rather than two. But which day? Fridays or Mondays?

FW said...

L.B.: I'd settle for 3 days at weekends. I may even do a few more hours in the day.
Tara: I think I'd prefer to take Fridays off. Even though I hate Mondays.