Wednesday, October 24, 2012

99.9F

The album 99.9F by Suzanne Vega is a particular favourite of mine. For me, this is my favourite album by Suzanne Vega. I love her voice and the originality of the poetic lyrics. I had liked My Name Is Luka and Tom's Diner. I remember watching the TV when I first saw her appear as a thin, frail looking young woman from America with thin, lanky hair and a huge acoustic guitar. She was certainly an unusual and surprising export from America at the time. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was blown away. When I first got this album, it was around Christmas time and I think it was one of the first CDs I actually bought only on CD. Up to that point, I had bought brand new albums only on vinyl. I put the CD in to the player and was blown away, this lady had a loud band! And was she  becoming a rock star too? Well, the unassuming songstress was really showing her fragile looks were misleading, this album has some powerful songs on it, like all of her songs actually. This album actually makes me want to dance, it is very rhythmical. She's a beautiful woman and really deserves much more airtime than she gets.

The song 99.9F is a song about flirting with someone with the possibility that it might head in a promising direction.
I love all the songs on this album, ones that I would pick out though are Blood Makes Noise, (If you were) In My Movie, As A Child and When Heroes Go Down.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

I have never followed her music beyond what got good radio play. Your review makes me want to check this album out! Thanks :)

Tara said...

I love "My Name is Luka" and "Tom's Diner". I will give 99.9F a listen! Thanks FW!

FW said...

LB: I don't think you will be disappointed :-)
Tara: Sounds like you're a fan, so I hope you like this CD as much as I do!