Sunday, October 07, 2012

Getting excited about Halloween 2012?

As Halloween approaches I look forward to it. I'm not entirely sure why. We don't do so much for Halloween here in the UK as they do in the US. I see a lot of Halloween themed kids party stuff in the shops. Most of it not so very high quality, a bit like all the other nasty plastic party stuff you find in pound shops.

 It is a shame that the witches of this country don't do more to celebrate their religion in public at Halloween. Do witches have a religion? I guess it would be paganism right? Well, I didn't want this to be a theological discussion, so all I'm saying is that it would be nice to see a bit of alternative culture at Halloween rather than all this Trick or Treat nonsense.
Just to prove I'm not a spoilsport though, I think everyone should dress up for Halloween in a creepy outfit. It would be cool but my own workplace would take a dim view of it, I've never seen anyone dressed for Halloween during my working life - that's a real shame.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

Halloween is actually one of my favorite holidays. I think it is mostly about the costumes and jack-o-lanterns though :)
We dress up at my job. I like to keep it simple...and it can't be scary because I work with very young children.

Tara said...

Our manager sent out an email recently that we'd have a blood drive on the day before Halloween and we'd also have a contest to see which department decorates their area the best for Halloween. I hope everyone gets into the spirit of it. We can also dress up in costume on the 31st. Yay! :)

Most of the stores here actually set up a Halloween section. There's a big, inflatable creature (I can't remember if it's a cat or spider) at the local super store that is the doorway to the costume department. We also have a store that sets up exclusively for Halloween. I haven't had a chance to go in there yet, though.

Cliceli A.Kovalski said...

I also feel the same about Brazil.
Here there is no celebration, just off-color jokes and chatter ... I wanted at least conhcer day Halloween in the United States, shall be the same as the maximum celebration and grandeur which deserves or mereceri the event.
\ I found your blog by chance and loved the ideas ... visit me when you can and let your point of view there, you will be welcome! personalidadeinfiel.blogspot.com