Saturday, October 13, 2012

Prog Rock

I must confess to being a fan of progressive rock. Not all of it though. I like the classic prog rock bands from the 70's like Yes, Pink Floyd, Caravan and Jethro Tull. These bands have created a lot of music and at their height in the 1970s they released a few turds as well as diamonds. I like occasional songs from other prog bands like ELP, Moody Blues and Genesis. There are some bands that I've only heard one or two songs and could not say gripped me enough to want to hear more. King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator and Camel fall into that category for me. Of the prog rock bands I do like, perhaps through some form of loyalty I also like their later output from the 80s, 90s and later. However, sometimes I don't collect everything from these old bands because I also like hearing newer bands and I am limited by budget. There are also a lot of compilations albums for these bands.
There follows a selection of albums I really like, if you haven't heard anything by these groups and want an introduction these are good starting points I think.

Dark side of the Moon - Pink Floyd (1973)

Caravan (1968)
Stand up - Jethro Tull (1969)
The Yes Album - Yes (1971)


2 comments:

laura b. said...

I would say as a rule, I'm not a huge fan of prog rock...although I do like Pink Floyd very much. I tend to think it is because I am not very musically educated and am drawn to simple things with clever lyrics.

FW said...

LB: Nothing wrong with your taste in music as far as I can tell! Simple songs are usually the best. I do like the occasional venture into prog rock land though.8