Sunday, December 09, 2012

A Close Shave

I was returning to my hotel after having some food this week when I remembered I had to text a friend to get her new address. The street was fairly busy even though it was almost 8pm, a lot of shoppers were returning to the train station near the hotel. Suddenly, quietly and quickly a teenager on a bike grabbed my iphone as I was texting. My grip was good though and in the seconds the attempt lasted I had a strong enough grip to hold on. I guess he had to control his bike at the same time as trying to get the phone and my grip was too strong. Fortunately I didn't have my woolly gloves on, which would have been slippier. The rubber bumper around the phone also helped although it got broke in the attack. Seconds later he let go and rode off giving me an evil look without my phone. Nobody around me stopped to help and I didn't have presence of mind to shout out or do anything other than hold on. If he had of got my phone it would have been awful. I had photos of my children and it could be used to buy stuff. Aside from the personal side the phone was an expensive gift from my wife. How dare a stranger just try to get it by passing me in the street! I feel affronted!

3 comments:

laura b. said...

That's awful, FW. I would feel so violated. And this reminds me that I should pay more attention to what is going on around me in public.
I'm really glad your thief was unsuccessful.

Tara said...

Wow, what an experience! I'm glad you still have your phone, but I'm sorry that happened to you! Then that kid had the nerve to give YOU the evil eye! Maybe karma was watching and someone will snatch that kid's bike.

FW said...

LB: Thanks, it was only afterwards that I was shocked it had happened at all.

Tara: Thanks, yes it was amazing that he gave me that look wasn't it! I had the last laugh I guess at least.