Saturday, December 15, 2012

How Much More Can We Take?

I wake to another day of mourning for innocent lives lost. I was working yesterday and didn't see the news. I opened the door to my wife as she came home and she told me about the shooting in Connecticut. Kids as young as five. I just thought Oh No Not Again.
It makes me sick just thinking how someone could empty a gun on someone else for no reason. Take your own life but don't take other lives, especially ones so young who have their whole lives ahead of them. The next president of America could have been killed yesterday or the next Albert Einstein or a doctor who could have saved many lives, it's just such a tragedy!
Something has to be done about the access to weapons these crazy people seem to have. I don't see any reason why anyone who isn't a policeman or in the armed services requires a lethal weapon. If the argument is to protect yourself surely there are non-lethal alternatives?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand how you feel and it is so very sad. The dilemma is the world will continue to become more violent. Weapons will be more lethal. The nature of life has put us in this predicament. The world is a scary place. The challenge to stay safe will continue until the end of times. We should always push for peace, but what we can’t do is lay down our own protection. As the population of this planet grows, so will the violence. There are two sides to everything. The world is balanced for a reason. Stay strong and push for what you believe.

laura b. said...

As I see it, our "right to bear arms" means that we have the right to protect our country in times of war, not that we all have the right to own any number of automatic weapons.

I only hope this opens a discussion that will bring some actual change.

FW said...

V Johnson: Hello! It's true that life can be violent and ugly. However, the ease with which a devasting tragedy can unfold through simply pulling a trigger of such a powerful weapon tells us something basic. There is a unescapable correlation. Take these weapons out of circulation. Now please! The really sad thing is that sales of assault rifles has increased since this tragedy. Why were they not banned straight away?

LB: No argument. I agree. Leave weapons to the military.