Tuesday, December 11, 2012

DIY Catflap (or rather not DIY)

Our kittens are early risers, unfortnately a bit too early. My wife bears the brunt of it because they seem to like sitting on her in a morning, waking her up, wanting to be let outside to go hunting and exploring. I manage to sleep through it, much to my wife's irritation, so for the benefit of marital harmony I have purchased a catflap in the hope that the kittens (8 months old now and looking like proper cats) will be able to let themselves in and out. However, I'm not really a DIY man. I can just about handle a screw driver, some drilling (though I hate it) and very simple electrics (replacing light bulbs and light switches) but for most DIY maintenance jobs I don't have the experience to know how to handle problems and am generally too cautious in case I cause a bigger problem.
I remember a friendly neighbour who, once as I was leaving the house, shouted to me through his kitchen window. When I went over to investigate he had his thumb in a pipe and said he couldn't take it out because water would spray out. At the time, we were fortunate enough to know someone (not close enough to really call them a friend but getting there) who was a plumber and my wife called and he came to the rescue.



Knowing that trying to do things yourself can cause even worse problems, I have hird a man to come and fit it for us. I hope it all goes smoothly, I would like to think the kittens will use it but I suppose that's another ball game for another day.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

I share your same fear about even slightly complicated DIY projects. I can only imagine the damage I might do!
Your kittens will soon learn to work the door. Your wife will thank you :)

Tara said...

I hope your kittens appreciate the effort of your buying the contraption and giving them the independence they need to let themselves out. That's a nice cat door!

FW said...

LB: I hope she does, I'm sort of a little bit apprehensive about leaving it unlocked during the night but I guess we'll have to wait and see what foreign bodies might come through it.

Tara: Thanks, I am pretty certain at least one of the cats will appreciate it. One is more of a stay at home kind of girl and just looks through the window.