Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Street Entertainers

The other night I was out after work doing some Christmas shopping. It was cold and dark but a lot of people were around. A street entertainer was playing his guitar and singing. I liked his take on the songs I knew and I liked his song choice. I actually felt like his music made me a tiny bit happier. So I dropped some coins into his open case. I felt it was right and moral to do that because he was working and entertaining me. I was only walking past so it wasn't like I stopped to listen but there were a few shops close together and whenever I went in and out I heard him.
It's a fairly rare thing for me to do. Usually though, street entertainers are not very good. That sounds uncharitable I know. It's not that I don't appreciate their effort but equally I don't donate just by default. They probably don't expect that either to be fair but I feel slightly uncomfortable when walking past someone who's trying hard to sing or play to entertain but isn't doing it for me.
In a similar vein the talent shows like X Factor really do contain mostly dross. The audience seem to whip themselves up into a frenzy over something that really is quite poor. I don't understand it.

2 comments:

laura b. said...

I am right on the same page. Sometimes I feel actual embarrassment for street performers, although I know that isn't necessary!
Also agree about singing competition shows. It is such an amazing opportunity for some talented artist and so often the pool of competitors is incredibly boring.

FW said...

I know what you mean. I can't even look some of them in the eye when they're really bad! Those shows don't seem set up to discover real talent, they're just looking for a good imitation that will make the programme makers the most money. I'm not even sure what the people on the shows get out of them long term; I suspect it's a lot less than it might appear!