Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Mid-life and happiness

I was reading a magazine feature that suggests there have been research studies that demonstrate similarities between humans and animals when looking at a dip in happiness in the mid-life period. I find that interesting. What is that all about?
I wonder whether it is something to do with awareness in middle age that life is actually quite short and fragile? And that the clock is ticking on you having the means to support yourself later in life whilst also having dependents (maybe) who are your children and your elderly parents?
Or that you realise you are not young and hip, no matter what you do to your appearance or the lifestyle you lead?
I don't consider myself unhappy but at the same time I would agree that I am much less carefree and happy go lucky than I ever was. I am much more measured in what I do than when I was young, less spontaneous and much more conservative. I guess as you get older and can think about retirement I can imagine you do feel a bit more carefree and less responsible for others - a bit like being young again.

2 comments:

laura b. said...

What an interesting post. I guess in a sense, I haven't been completely carefree since I had my first child at 22.

Nearing 50, I do sometimes sharply sense how quickly time flies. Sometimes it scares me and sometimes I just resolve to make each moment count.

FW said...

L.B.: Good for you, I find making each moment count one of the hardest things. A lot of the time it feels like I'm just filling time while I'm waiting.