Monday, March 03, 2014

Google Earth

Geography is one of those subjects, like history, that seemed to me as really dull when I was at school. Maybe it was the way it was taught or the way the exams were structured. I had a teacher who I enjoyed listening to but I didn't really absorb the information. It was a shame, I might have made a good geographer.
Geography infiltrates our lives whether we want it to or not. We are physical beings and points on a map have relevance to us in our lives, be they places we lived, worked or just visited. This weekend I spent a bit of time playing with Google Earth, drawing point to point paths and making narrated tours. I shall continue this playing around to see how Google Earth can trace the places I've lived, worked and visited in my life. It's a wonderful tool, I wonder whether schools make use of it in their projects? It could really make geography lessons come to life.

No comments: