Sunday, March 30, 2014

Lawn mowing again

With the more recent spell of good weather, the downside is that the lawn grass has started to grow. A fortnight ago I mowed the lawn and looking at the grass again today I realised I needed to cut it again today while the weather is dry. I don't know if I will be able to cut it next week and to leave it another two weeks would just mean it gets untidy and harder to cut. So I decided to cut it this afternoon. The mower I have is one I bought last year. My previous mower had served us well but it was a cheap little hover mower and was no longer suited to a bigger lawn as we have in our new house. Infact the biggest advantage of the new mower is that I can just push it around rather than potentially hurting my back and primarily that it collects the grass as it cuts - a real boon. It's a Qualcast mower (the green ones), my old one was a Flymo (orange ones), like the one pictured below but not exactly the same. I'd recommend Qualcast, they seem to be well made and cut the lawn nicely although I've really given up on trying to make nice even stripes in the lawn. That takes too much effort, I'm just happy with a tidy lawn. Actually, another reason I don't try and engineer stripes is that the quality of the grass is quite poor. There seems to be a lot of mud and moss. I don't know if this is the product of a long wet winter or what!?

No comments: