Sunday, January 04, 2015

Sci-Fi Female Leads

As my holidays end in just a day's time, I thought I'd just go through the films I've enjoyed during the holidays. I watched The Hunger Games Catching Fire, I thought it was a great film and very well paced. As ever the main protagonist was acted excellently by Jennifer Lawrence, she is such a good actor and I think deserves an Oscar for the series.


I can think of only a very limited number of female actors who have led a sci-fi franchise such as this:
  • Sigourney Weaver (Alien - film franchise)
  • Milla Jovovich (Resident Evil - film franchise)
  • Kate Beckinsale (Underworld - film franchise)
Although, I would say that I would welcome a new sci-fi franchise featuring any of these great female actors in a lead role:
  • Scarlett Johansson (played Black Widow in Iron Man and Avengers)
  • Jennifer Garner (from Alias the TV series and Elektra film)
  • Hayley Atwell (Agent Carter and Agents of Shield the TV series and Captain America films)
  • Angelina Jolie (a strong female lead actor, and the Tomb Raider films)
  • Michelle Ryan (played lead in the Bionic Woman, a series I never saw)
  • Olivia Thirlby (played Anderson in Dredd)
  • Charlize Theron (played a strong character in Prometheus and Aeon Flux)
  • Abbie Cornish (played Sweet Pea in Suckerpunch, was also in remake of Robocop)
  • Jena Malone (played Johanna Mason role in Hunger Games Catching Fire)
  • Jessica Alba (has played Sue Storm in The Fantastic Four among other roles)
  • Violante Placido (played the Nadya role in Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance) 
  • Megan Fox (for her role in the Transformers films)
  • Gemma Arterton (for roles in Byzantium, Prince of Persia, Hansel and Gretel and Clash of the Titans)
  • Antje Traue (for her role in Pandorum and as Faora Ul in Man of Steel)
  • Carrie-Anne Moss (for playing Trinity in The Matrix)
  • Emma Stone (for her role as Gwen Stacey in The Amazing Spider-Man films)
  • Anna Silk (for her role in the TV series Lost Girl)
  • Abigail Breslin (for her role in Ender's Game)
  • Emma Watson (for her role as Hermione in the Harry Potter franchise)
  • Emily Blunt (for her roles in Looper and Edge of Tomorrow)
The list above could go on and on though, these are based on appearances I've seen and enjoyed in the films and TV series but the most important thing is that the actor and role are a perfect fit for each other.

I also saw Ender's Game, which I'd heard good things about. Having watched the film, I can say that I enjoyed watching it but it's not a film I would like to see again and again. I disliked the way Harrison Ford played his role, it just felt too wooden for my tastes. Perhaps it was the script and the casting though because Harrison Ford is obviously a great actor. I guess securing Harrison Ford in a role is a way for a film to ensure it makes some money at the Box Office.


I'm not a great fan of children in films though and here I didn't engage too much with the young male actor although he played the part well. I thought that there was more heart and spirit in the part played by the female actor Abigail Breslin (she makes my list above for this role, although she is less experienced than others on the list). The story was pretty decent though, so I may read the book it is based on.
The other film I have watched these holidays has been Elysium, which I have already mentioned.

No comments: