Sunday, March 08, 2015

UK entry for Eurovision 2015

Last night the UK entry for this year's contest in Vienna was announced. I'm not sure where the news was announced, I just saw it on the web but it might have been on the National Lottery programme, they have done something more elaborate in the past where the contest entry was chosen in part by the public vote - that seems to have been disapproved of by someone in charge because of the general lack of success and poor quality of the songs. The songs may have improved in recent years (arguably) but not the end result on the leaderboard - hence a lot of people saying it's not a song contest at all but a political voting contest. It's interesting though from a human geography and cultural perspective.
So this year's entry is from a duo called Electric Velvet, a name that sounds manufactured to me and one that doesn't inspire my confidence. I've heard the song itself only once so I can't say whether it is catchy or not yet, it has a fairly quick 1920s style feel to it with an update to make it electro-pop. I don't want to be negative about it, so I'll leave it at that. I hope it does well. I much prefer the Scandinavian style symphonic rock style of entry but sadly there haven't been many of those in recent years.



There was an interesting event in Germany's choice of song, the public voted and chose an entry but he decided he didn't want to do it, the reasoning is a mystery to me, and he wanted to pass it on to another contestant. So, this was allowed (again the reasoning behind this is unknown but I suspect it was a great moment of stress and embarrassment to the TV producers) and the young female is now Germany's entry.

No comments: