Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Thoughts on Christmas

I can't believe it's been almost a week since I last posted something here. I've been pretty busy at work and my wife has been on the PC doing a lot of stuff for her job. The podcasting has been occupying a lot of my time too, it's fun but is time consuming.
I was starting to get a bit depressed about Christmas a week ago or so but then I realised something that had just gone over my head before. Here it is: Christmas is the climax of the year, it's the time to have fun, see friends and family, look back at the year's achievements and relax. I usually spend a lot of time worrying about presents (who to buy for, when to organise my shopping, what to get for whom, who got me a gift last year etc.) and the emphasis on shopping takes the fun out of Christmas I feel. It's much better to treat it as a big party. I love the film It's A Wonderful Life, realising how much you are loved by those around you is what Christmas should be about.
I'm starting to think about Christmas and New Year. I'd like to do something different next year, maybe take a course in something or do an evening class activity. I haven't figured out what yet but I'd like to get out one evening a week to experience something new.

2 comments:

laura b. said...

I need to take a page from your book, FW, and stop worrying so much about the gifts. It should be a fun, family time.

FW said...

Stop and think about who wouldn't exist without you, how other people's lives would have turned out without you. Thinking about Its A Wonderful Life, we all make a difference and hopefully help others.