Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Festival fever

It's that time of the year. I get envious of the young people who can disappear for a few days into the adventure of a music festival. I love music and watching bands perform live. I've enjoyed a few festivals in the past but there has never been a "gang" I could go with, I think festivals are better experiences if you go with your mates. I've never been to Glastonbury but I think it's probably the best UK festival, given the historic landscape and the calibre of the acts it attracts and its broad appeal. Last weekend the Download festival catered for the hard rock community, I like the music but I probably don't have anything in common with the rest of the audience and would stand out like a sore thumb. This weekend it's the Wireless Festival in London and Leeds. There are a few acts on the bill I like, especially the White Stripes and the Kaiser Chiefs. There are aspects of festivals I don't like: toilets being one, although they are probably better than ever. They stink in the hot weather, I hate queueing and would be completely embarassed if I had to stand there in a queue clenching my buttocks with fifty other bearded blokes holding a toilet roll while happy people walked past. I also don't like the cost of the food and drink inside the festival. You'd think that law of economics would allow prices to be lowered within the boundaries of the arena but no, the reverse is true. You end up feeling really hungry because of the nice smells and you wander from stall to stall not knowing which takeaway food looks nicest and which one you know will cause you severe bottom trouble. I've also wandered around festivals feeling really alone because I didn't have weird clothes, long hair, tattoos and body piercings - surely the uniform of festival goers. No, on the whole I enjoy festivals from a distance - either the TV or radio. In a way I'm quite sad about that.

6 comments:

laura b. said...

Boy, I can really relate to what you are saying! I would love to be a bit younger, able to round up a group, and head off to one of the many festivals that have sprung up lately.
I love concerts, love live music. I try to keep very current too, so some of the bands I like...well, most of their fan base is at least half my age.
Today I am wearing an Arcade Fire t-shirt and no one my age that asks me about it knows who they are...

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Holding your own toilet roll.. what has the world come to? Geesh.. The toilets here at the festivals aren't all that pretty.. and by the way.. they all stink in hot weather..ha ha.. Enjoy the festivals that you attend...

Roo said...

Being a glastonbury veteran of many years I'd estimate that there are thousnads of glastonbury goers just like you go regularly, if they can get tickets that is. But don't worry, you can watch and listen to a lot of the festival from home and rejoice in a short trip to the fridge for cold beer and the nearness of some clean armitage shanks and no queues or crowds!

Tara said...

There's always an outbreak of rib cookoffs around here when summer approaches. Then there's the county fair that's nearby too. That's the one I look forward to because of the funnel cake stand that sets up. You can get this funnel cake with chocolate, caramel, powdered sugar and walnuts. Wow. Very good. I don't even dare count the fat content in that thing. But it's a warm and gooey summer treat.

FW said...

L.B.: You're more up-to-date than me, not herd Arcade Fire yet but they certainly seem to be making an impression

Babybull40: Cheers!

Roo: Thanks for calling in to my blog, feel free to come back! Yep, staying at home does have crtain advantages.

Tara: Mmmm sounds tasty!

Anonymous said...

Glastonbury is brilliant, just make up your mind and go. There are people of every age and inclination there and you don't have to do the big stadium thing all the time as well.... Just go!