Thursday, January 14, 2010

Enter title here

Couldn’t think of a title for this post. It’s been a bit of a funny week really. Work has been a mixture of very busy and then pretty quiet periods. I don’t really mind being busy, I prefer it, but if it’s quiet I do stuff that isn’t so pressing. One of the things I don’t like about my work is that some of my co-workers feel they work harder than everyone else and if something is forgotten about they are quick to point fingers at others. As if it’s ultra-important and they have to defend themselves and be seen by everyone to be really busy. As I said, I’ve nothing against busy but I don’t broadcast it to everyone and be really crotchety with others. I just get on with it. My other pet hate about work is when their is a bit of vagueness in determining what needs to be done. I like to be clear what I have to do and how to go about it. I don’t like wishy-washy and hesitation until its too late to do a good job. I don’t like being micro-managed, if there’s a task or project to do, I just like to get on with it and do it to the best ability I know I can. Not having enough leeway to make decisions and quick progress gets me down sometimes.

Anyway, that’s quite enough about work, it takes up enough of my life as it is. The weather here was shocking on Wednesday. Icy roads and more snow hit me when I got to my car, I luckily had a shovel in my boot and helped someone get their car moving after they got stuck trying to reverse out of a lay-by. Lots of schools closed, including my children’s. We really aren’t prepared for this continued cold period with snow. The road gritters are conserving stocks, meaning not all routes are gritted. I got so far and realised I might not make it up a steep hill on the way to the train station, so I decided to turn back. Good thing I did because my train was cancelled anyway. Better working at home instead of being stuck out in the middle of the country miles from anything.

2010’s first disaster has happened with the Earthquake in Haiti. I feel sorry for the thousands of families affected. Events like that always remind me how fragile life is.

4 comments:

Tara said...

I didn't like my coworker for the first 6 months when he started, because he actually bragged to me that nobody can out work him. Then he had the nerve to tell someone else, the director of another department. Then he wondered why people started thinking he had a big ego.

laura b. said...

Sounds like you and I have similar work styles...just let me do my job and get on with it!

I'm glad you have so far been able to stay safe during this extreme weather. Another blogger I know from the UK said something about there being a lack of salt for the roads and recalled how they used to use ash...and what a mess that was.

Hope the weather turns warmer soon. And that we are able to get some relief to the Haitians. Hard to imagine such suffering.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

When I was working my co-workers would complain about not getting enough hours but then turn down extra time.. They wanted their cake and be able to eat it too.. I hope the weather there improves .. we had one small storm but it wasn't that bad.. the roads the next day weren't good but people here don't know how to drive anyways and even if it was dry out traffic would still be bottlenecked..

It is really sad that this little country has had so much bad stuff happen..

FW said...

Tara: Quite an annoying way to start a working relationship. I can see why you weren't very keen to begin with.

LB: The weather thawed this weekend but guess what? Heavy snow is forecast for tomorrow. I just hope I can get home OK, as I'm travelling tomorrrow.

Mrs HW: I think drivers here are going mad for speed on the roads after having to slow right down with the snow and unsalted roads.