Friday, January 01, 2010

Welcome to 2010

New Year greetings to you!

I was pondering what the attributes of a good horror film are after a discussion between a couple of family members after Christmas lunch. They had both seen Paranormal Activity (I have not) and were saying how frightening it was and how it sucked them in. Here are a few things I can think of:

(a) a good horror will include scenes that make you jump or cover your face the first time you see it
(b) it will include scenes that scare you even after seeing them again
(c) it will come back to you when you are alone or when you are in darkness and scare you again
(d) the concepts of the supernatural it explores will stay with you forever
(e) you should eventually be able to laugh at how it still scares you

I'm interested if you agree or if you think some of these aren't just applicable to the horror genre.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Happy, happy New Year, FW!

I really wanted to be scared by "Paranormal ACtivity". I think the main thing that spoiled it was the trailer they kept showing. It showed the viewers the most startling scenes, didn't leave much for surprise. If I hadn't seen the trailer I think i would've been more frightened.

I agree with your guidelines, especially (b), (c) and (e). I laugh at how "Poltergeist" still scares me after all these years!

laura b. said...

That is a good list of attributes for horror films. I think a couple of the ideas definitely extrapolate to other sorts of movies. Like scenes or concepts from any good movie will ideally come back to you again and again.

laura b. said...

Oh, and Happy New Year!

FW said...

Tara: Isn't it just so annoying when movie trailers do that? Sometime trailers are better than the films!
L.B.: Happy New Year L.B.