Saturday, October 30, 2010

Catching up

Finally have some time to catch up with some blog stuff. I was thinking about what I would do if I just handed my resignation in at work. It was a nice little fantasy. Back in the real world there is stuff to pay for, so the slog continues.

My wife has been doing some Christmas shopping this week. I heard some other ladies talking and they too are preparing for Christmas. It seems really early to me to be thinking of presents but I suppose Christmas isn’t so many weeks away when you think about it. Especially if you have relatives who you have to post a parcel too. It is better to be prepared in those cases than to leave to the last minute. Same is true for friends you only see at or around Christmas. I’ve learned over the years that it is also worth having a few surplus gifts for those surprise times when you want to give a gift to someone who surprises you by turning up out of the blue after months and months. There are also those occasions when you receive an unexpected gift from somewhere you didn’t expect and you want to respond in kind.

I’ll probably watch a scary film this weekend for Halloween, haven’t decided what to watch yet. I do like Halloween though, I wished it lasted longer though. There is a gothic festival in Whitby, Yorkshire I was reading about last night. It sounds like a lot of fun. Whitby was the place where the boat that held Dracula’s coffin was bound in Bram Stoker’s novel. I love that book.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

I tend to wait for the last minute to do any sort of shopping. Not one of my better traits.
I actually like Halloween more than Christmas. I like the idea of Christmas, but always feel so pressured (by myself). Halloween is just fun!
Hope you're having a great weekend :-)

Tara said...

I love the idea of a gothic festival and I'd be geeking out about the Dracula's coffin thing!

What movie did you decide to watch? I had recorded "The Exorcist: The Beginning" awhile back, so I watched that movie on Halloween. It's not a bad movie - better than the sequels, but of course the first movie was the scariest.

FW said...

LB: Thanks, hope your weekend was great! I probably feel the same about Christmas, the anticipation is better than the thing itself.

Tara: I ended up watching The Others, which was alright but not as creepy as I thought it would have been.