Sunday, July 15, 2012

How do Ubuntu?

Over the course of several months I've been experimenting with a new operating system. The copy of Windows XP on my laptop has not been ageing well, getting slower and slower to boot. I've recovered the drive a few times, each time beginning again with a fresh install of Windows XP. But XP doesn't delight in the same way that Windows 7 does. I've been moving more content to the web in what I do as well - Google and Windows Live and Dropbox - as well as my blog. So, to cut a long story short I completely removed Windows XP and have gone over to Linux and Ubuntu in particular. I love the font and the colourful and large and uncluttered desktop buttons. My netbook is now much similar to how using a Mac feels. I'm pleased so far. I can watch and listen to my media.
I've also set up wireless printing, which is something I never got around to with my netbook before. I have also fixed a problem, which bugged my WinXP O.S., that meant my netbook seemed to just freeze for about 4-7 minutes on booting, now it boots without pausing at all.
I've been installing some cool software on my netbook too. I think that's because a lot of software for Linux is free, which is a great bonus.

2 comments:

laura b. said...

I use Firefox at home. Seems to work fine for streaming videos and music, which is what I mostly seem to use it for these days :)

FW said...

LB: I like Firefox a lot, I think it's one of the best browsers.