Friday, July 27, 2012

London 2012

What a tantalising spectacle is in prospect. The 2012 Summer Olympics are finally here. It has been a long time coming. I remember I was eating lunch in a restaurant in Birmingham with work colleagues when I found out. I've moved on since those days.
The time for sport is about to begin. I must admit I'm going to be interested in the events and human stories behind the athletes competing. I was fascinated by a programme on tv last week about women's cyclist Victoria Pendleton.
The minority sports are always worth a watch.
The real shame about the games is that the ticketing has been completely mishandled. My family isn't going but we applied for tickets and were not successful. If all the relevant information had been available we might have decided on going to watch another event. But it wasn't very clear what we could or could not do.
The opening ceremony is on now and is looking good so far!

2 comments:

laura b. said...

It is so exciting to have the Olympics going on RIGHT THERE! I remember what a huge deal it was when we had the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984. I didn't attend any events, but just being familiar with so many of the venues was cool.

FW said...

LB: The London Olympic Park is so impressive! I'm excited enough for all the people visiting it. What the BBC have done with their coverage of everything is amazing, I don't feel like I'm missing any of the action.