Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Eurythmics or Annie Lennox solo?

One of my favourite singers is Annie Lennox, she has an amazing voice full of character and ability to express a range of human emotions. I've heard a lot of songs that she sung on but over time I've been most impressed by the songs she sung when she was part of the duo known as The Eurythmics. One of their earlier songs, Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This, is one of my absolute favourite songs ever. When I first came across the group, Annie was the one who wore masculine suits or leather hats. She was quite stunning and sexual in a strange kind of way that added to the allure. They were also one of those 80s acts that popularised electronic music. Since The Eurythmics Annie has become world famous as a solo act. Although she has made some very good songs, I still prefer the older material.


4 comments:

BrightenedBoy said...

Oh, '80s. It's such an interesting era.

Kelly Clarkson did a phenomenal cover of her song "Why?" that I listened to for about a week straight after I found it.

laura b. said...

She does have a beautiful voice. It is very strong. I think my preference is for her Eurythmics songs as well.
I was very attracted to the androgenous looks that were so popular in the 80s.

Tara said...

I love her song "Walking on Broken Glass", and I loved The Eurythmics. Marilyn Manson sang a version of "Sweet Dreams" for the movie "House on Haunted Hill". It's creepy, but I like that version too, just not as much as the original.

FW said...

BB: I'd like hear Kelly Clarkson's version, Why is a beautiful song.

LB: There was more gender ambiguity in the 80s, I didn't realise those times were as flamboyant as they seem now.

Tara: I haven't heard the Marilyn Manson version, he's an artist I've avoided. I'm not sure why really. Walking on Broken Glass is a fine song.