Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cars

I'm planning to buy a car in December, to replace the one I have. It's not that there is anything very wrong with my current car but it is not very fuel efficient and I do less miles and spend less time in it. The fan in it has never been very strong so things like the heater and the air conditioning aren't very good. I find it relatively comfortable on longer drives and it can go fast when I push it. It has a big boot that has been useful and the seats fold down for times when I need to transport large items of furniture for example. Aside from the expense of fuel, I find it is expensive to insure and work on it is never very cheap. Being an older car I'm worried there will be work needed on it fairly soon that will be costly. My needs have changed since I bought the car, I really bought it because I was doing up to 500 miles a week and I needed a vehicle that would be comfortable on distance drives. Something smaller and more fuel efficient will do nicely, I don't think a 3 door is practical with my kids so I'm looking for a 5 door model.

My biggest question to settle is whether to stretch and go for a basic model of a brand new "cheap" car or buy a used car and get something a little bigger but with a history that I don't know about. Warranties are pretty good these days, so the former option seems better but I know I'll have to stretch my finance a bit even for a "basic" model. I could use a finance option but I'd rather go short for a while and own the car outright, not the easiest option but one I think is less stressful for me personally. I've no problem with other people who choose the finance option, it's whatever suits you best I guess.

I've never bought a new car. All of my cars have been at the cheaper end of the used car spectrum. The same was true for my wife but she saved hard to get herself a new car back in May. We are lucky enough to have jobs where we are able to afford two new cars but we have both been driving cars that are twelve/thirteen years old. Some basic models don't have air conditioning and I would really like to have it, which might add a few hundred pounds to the cost. The climate in the UK is not too bad but AC really helps in the middle of summer.

Here are some of the small, "cheap" cars I've been looking at - what do you think I should do: go for new or get a used car?

Kia Picanto

Citroen C1

Hyundai i10

Volkswagon Up
 
Chevrolet Spark
Toyota Aygo



I'll have to take a few test drives to see what I prefer. If I go for a used car then I will have an almost unlimited choice.

3 comments:

Tara said...

Good luck with getting a new car! I hope you find one that is cost effective and easy on the gas.

I think I leased the car I have now when I had the other job at my company and had more money. I had some cash saved up. My mom helped me too, though, because she wasn't driving and felt that she should pay for half of it. Even though I'm financing my car through my bank, I like that I don't have to deal with the dealership anymore.

laura b. said...

I have never owned a new car. If you can swing it, I would assuredly go with the new car option!
I don't know much about different types of cars. I have a 3 door Hyundai Accent (about 10 years old) and it has done pretty well for me. I have had a couple of Toyotas and they are really reliable.
Have fun choosing!!!

FW said...

Tara: Cool, good for you that you only have the bank to deal with, I think we'd all prefer that option.

LB: I will post about this later this week, I didn't buy a brand new car. I couldn't justify the expense in the end. I am changing my car on Saturday though - more later...