Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Shropshire blue cheese

Cheese is lovely. I was watching a TV show that was attempting to show the variety of English cheese on the market. Asking people on the street to name some English cheeses and most could name only two or three, which is not great! So I thought I'd try to invest a tiny amount of my energy into trying cheeses from around the British Isles that I might not have thought about trying before. My first one is Shropshire Blue cheese. It has a nice orange colour and has distinctive blue veins. It tastes creamy and has the bitter blue tang to it that stays in the mouth long after eating it. It's a great cheese to eat with food (like most cheese). I had mine cubed and dropped on to a plate with some salad leaves, ham and broccoli omelette and balsamic glaze. I drank a can of Pepsi Max with it but a nice wine would have been better. It is a cheese that will go well with other cheeses in case you are thinking of hosting a cheese party in your own mouth!


4 comments:

Tara said...

I'd be interested in trying cheeses from around the world! I have a few favorites here, like colby, colby-jack and pepperjack. I steer clear of swiss cheese unless it is melted.

FW said...

Tara: Swiss cheese isn't one of my favourites, I find it quite rubbery. I would like to try some Colby Jack cheese to see how it compares to our cheddar.

laura b. said...

I love, love, love cheese. That one looks very nice. If I can find it, I will definitely give it a try!

FW said...

LB: The Shropshire Blue is worth trying in small doses. It is quite a strong variety.