Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Field

This photograph is another I've scanned in from a set of photographs I took over 10 years ago. At first glance there is nothing unusual or strange about this. It was a very hot day, I remember that. The symmetry of the silage rolls appealed to me and stood out against the natural landscape. I thought they looked very alien in this habitat. When I first saw silage rolls I didn't know what they were and it was a couple of years before I understood them. I have since seen a machine rolling them on the TV but to a town dweller like me, the field and countryside management is something I seldom think about. The photo makes me hanker for those long hot summers I remember as a child. It's been so cold this year that any warm weather would be good, even if it was only two or three degrees warmer. 

2 comments:

laura b. said...

I am also a city dweller...a suburbanite most properly, I suppose.
What I like most about that photo are the colors. They all seem so clear and pure. I like the shadow cast on the grass and the way the clouds look.

FW said...

LB: I should thank Kodak for the colours, or Fujichrome: whichever company made the film. Nice of you to mention the things you like about the shot. I do regret that film cameras seem so antiquated now. There was something special and exciting about having to wait for the photos to get developed.