Tuesday, May 14, 2013

House at the end of the street

I rented this movie last weekend and watched it on Saturday night. I couldn't tell what side of the horror/suspense side it was going to fall but judging just by the cover art alone it was probably going to err on suspense and it did indeed. The pacing was good and so the story unfolded with a good rhythym. Jennifer Lawrence is always very easy on the eye, infact the whole cast was. The story involved a mother and daughter making a fresh start and trying to connect with each other. They moved in to a large house that they could only afford because it was next to a neighbouring property where there had been a tragedy. The surviving member of the family lived there alone and seemed to be a nice, intelligent but shy young man. The other neighbours seem to care very little about this person and are instead pissed off that their property values have been reduced.
The daughter befriends the young man, which causes tension between her and her mother. The mother is trying to get closer to her daughter and be a good mother but it's not going very smoothly. There is a lot of built up frustration in the relationship and the mother seems to be a doctor in a hospital where she has to work late shifts a lot.
If you are looking for a little suspence without being terrified, it's an entertaining romp. But don't expect a water tight plot and credible story. It's not a film that will haunt you or stay in your memory long.




3 comments:

Tara said...

I've never heard of this movie, but I like that it moves at a good pace.

I haven't seen many movies starring Jennifer Lawrence. I did see "X-Men: First Class" where she played a young Mystique. I'd like to see "Silver Lining's Playbook".

laura b. said...

I MUCH prefer suspense to horror. I don't like being grossed out or made to feel too creepy, so I might like this one.

And Tara, I think you'd really like Silver Linings Playbook :)

FW said...

Tara: I didn't know she played Mystique in that movie, that was interesting. I haven't seen SLP but it sounds interesting too.

LB: I think you'd like this film, if suspense is your bag. Just don't go in with high expectations.