Saturday, September 24, 2005

Bob Dylan

On the 26th September 2005 the BBC and an American channel will air the first showing of part one of a Martin Scorcese documentary on Bob Dylan. Part two will be shown a few days later, both parts are two hours long. Great, can't wait. The BBC are having a sort of unofficial Bob Dylan season this month. They have an article titled something like "What's all the fuss about" and I've sent in some comments to add to others there.
In case my comments don't get displayed (they're moderated), the points I was making are that I think Time Out Of Mind and Love And Theft are his last two albums and instead of being "washed up" Dylan is actually producing some of the best work of his career. I also make the point that Dylan is strangely prophetic: his last album was released on 9/11/2001 and it included a tribute song to Charlie Patton (a Delta bluesman from the twenties who had a hit with a song called High Water Blues) called High Water about the Mississippi flooding of the twenties. Andy Kershaw ought to be ashamed calling Dylan washed up! To think I used to respect the man's opinions.

No comments: