Thursday, September 29, 2005

Labour Conference

Someone remind me why party conferences are televised? They are the dullest form of televised politics. The business yesterday of an 80 something year old man being ejected didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It was an undignified exit, I can see, and it wasn't a reasonable way to treat anyone of that age. The conference ushers were obviously simpleton thugs. However, I don't agree with applauding the guy either. I think he was a bit stupid to say what he did. He's entitled to voice his opinion though. The government does need to hear and address dissent from their own side but that doesn't need to be in public in my opinion. I just don't think party conferences should be televised. Party conferences should be for the party and not for the benefit of the TV. I'm always appalled at the swish stage lighting and colourful sets. Get the cameras out, lets return to some basic politics.

No comments: