Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Essay Writing

I did geography at a level and failed unfortunately. This wasn't down to lack of interest (well, partly it was). It was mainly due to my poor preparation for essay-based examinations. I got a 2:1 degree based on essay examinations so I feel qualified to say I improved my technique in the years intervening my A levels.
I was less interested in physical geography than I was in human geography. My interest is being aroused in human geography again by reading the newspapers and novels of tom clancy. I'm particularly interested in trouble spots or areas of tension between countries.
I feel like writing an essay. Essays can infact be useful to help one learn - something i'm only just beginning to realise. The skill with essays is probably working out the right questions to ask. For my current interest a essay question might be:

Explain the background to the current (2005) constitutional crisis in Iraq.

I know this would never be a real exam question as it is much too topical. It would also be difficult to mark I imagine, the scope is probably too broad.

No comments: