Saturday, September 24, 2005

Bob Monkhouse

I've never really seen the reason for this guy's popularity. I don't mean to disrespect the dead but really, his jokes were so weak. Unpleasant and misogynistic. I've just seen a clip of him performing on The Best Of An Audience With...

I saw today in the newspaper an advert for a Bob Newhart CD. There are some really funny people who have done some great comedy sketches and monologues. My first and only real experience of Bob Newhart was a TV show called Newhart. I enjoyed the show but I was unaware of the main character's history as a stand-up comedian. I think you had to be an American to appreciate the guy had a history.

Kelly Monteith had a show on British TV, he was American I think. He was a very funny performer. It was a sketch show. I don't know if he wrote the sketches himself, I think he may have - whatever, he was a great comedian and I don't know what happened to him. Des O'Connor used to introduce a lot of comedians to British audiences, in my opinion this has been Des' biggest contribution to the world.

No comments: