Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Room Lighting

Describe your preferred (compared to your actual) lighting in your rooms:

1. Sitting/TV room:
My preference would be for mood lighting, changeable depending on the weather and the music I play. When watching TV, I prefer just soft lighting.
In reality, we have soft alcove lighting behind frosted glass and a central lightbulb behind a big paper globe shade

2. Kitchen:
I prefer a 100 Watt tungsten uplighter, with lights in cupboards and lights under units illuminating work surfaces.
We have an uplighter but it's 40 Watt and we have a spotlight in the ceiling but it's position is not great. I like a really bright clean feel to a kitchen but we don't have.

3. Bathroom:
I love naturally light bathrooms where the sunshine pours in during the morning. At night, I like bright but warm colours.
Our bathroom is quite big and does get the morning sunshine, we painted it yellow so it has a warm feel. There is a bulb behind a white glass ball in the centre of the ceiling. It's quite bright but is an energy saving bulb, like most of the others in our house, and takes a few minutes to reach its brightest.

Again, do this if you feel like it.

8 comments:

Ashburnite said...

I'm one of those freaks that likes it bright in all rooms when I'm awake, and pitch-black when I'm sleeping. I can't sit in a dark room and watch tv- the lights all have to be on.

FW said...

Ashburnite: I like bright too, it does depend on your decoration/furnishings though because in some environments really bright light can seem a bit sterile. I can sleep in pitch darkness too but I know some people prefer not to. As a kid, my parents always left the landing light on for me.

Tara said...

My kitchen, bedroom and bathroom are my most brightly lit rooms. Then the diningroom/office nook and livingroom would come second.

If I'm watching a horror movie, and I feel like setting an eerie mood, I'll turn off the lights and watch TV.

FW said...

Tara: The only time I watch TV in the dark is when I'm in bed.

Ryan said...

Uhh... I'd like a good lamp in every room. Umm... with a 3-way bulb. I suppose those $10 bulbs are good for the environment and stuff. Ummmm...

:D

FW said...

Ryan: Yeah, they're not supposed to blow for 10 years but we had one that went.

Ryan said...

Refund!

FW said...

Ryan: Too late!