Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Channel Hopper

Last week I watched Rock Star Supernova and was strangely drawn to watching it - I was actually disappointed to turn it on last night only to find out it was just the last 5 minutes. I don't consider myself above this kind of show, over the years I've watched different series like Pop Idol, X Factor, Fame Academy and at times have watched the American versions too. Simon Cowell usually livens things up with his criticisms, his attitude reminds me of my brother in many ways even though he looks quite different. Anyway, back to Rock Star Supernova I think the reason I liked it was that I like rock music and I like the idea of contestants coming up with their own lyrics and songs. Fame Academy did a similar type of thing (remember Alex Parks anyone?). Lukas won the Rock Star Supernova finale (sorry if thats a spoiler), I'm a little surprised he won but I guess he did have something sparky about him (and a bit annoying if I'm honest).
On TV tonight there's a show hosted by Big Brother's Big Mouth (BBBM) presenter and tabloid celeb Russell Brand. He's always having it off with birds in dirty sleazy kiss and tell stories, if you read the tabloids and you can't always believe what you read can you? He doesn't seem to take himself too seriously, which is an endearing quality. Well, I watched BBBM and thought it was quite funny the first few times but after a while I sort of thought actually it's not as funny as I thought - I think it was Russell just saying stuff to be rude that did it for me. I guess the new show will be just a platform for him to do more of the same, we'll see.
On the music front I heard Graham Coxon's album Love Travels At Illegal Speeds today and thought it was very good, sort of guitar power pop like the best that Blur can play - not surprising since he was a Blur guitarist/songwriter for 7 albums.
I also see that the film Battle Royale is on one of the Freeview channels tonight, FilmFour I think. It's a great film, it's on really late though unfortunately.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

You and all of America are surprised (and kinda pissed) that Lukas won. :/

FW said...

Toby was my choice.

Anonymous said...

I am ashamed that after years of watching just 2 episodes of the X-factor and then dismissing it as 'rubbish', I am now quite into it *oh shame* :) E>

FW said...

Hey! Thanks for coming back! Yeah, it grabs you by the neck and starts wringing it until you plead for it to stop. Uh, where am I? (Think I've had one too many coffees oops!)