Monday, September 25, 2006

Manic Monday

It's just another Manic Monday...

Funny how a line pops into your head the minute you sit down at the keyboard and start typing isn't it? Well, I'm itching to start editing my face off. I bought a 250GB external HD at the weekend and I have hours of video on miniDV to capture and edit. The eventual goal is to create DVDs of the hours of footage we have shot. To be honest with you, I think a good film editor could probably cut the lot down to half an hour without seeing to lose anything important. But home video is like that I think, there have been times I've left the camera running without realising it was still taping. But fortunately I don't have any embarassing "up the skirt" footage shot that way!

My blog posting average has gone down a bit lately. I think that's due to my wife bringing more work home. Now my daughter is getting into The Sims too. I am beginning to think we need a rota. What we really need is a laptop and wireless internet but I can't see me getting that what with the new electricity bill we've just had. I'm convinced we're running the streetlamps off our meter. How did we use so much juice since June I'd like to know? It's getting ridiculous, I'll have to start putting timer switches on the plugs: "you can only read in bed between 9pm and 10:30pm dear, I'm sorry. Rules is rules." What do we run? We have a fridge, a TV, a PC and the lights. The boiler is gas. The cooker is gas. There's the dryer....ah, the dryer. Don't get me started....

A friend of mine has a PC problem that I'm trying to help him with. He can't boot his computer. It's like this: you have a PC, it runs Windows, at some point it's gonna break. You need to make a few preparations for when that day comes people! Preparation means less perspiration, especially true when having to sit through hour upon hour of Windows progress meters. Backup your important data regularly. Backup your browser favourites, email accounts info, address book, everything you can. Buying a backup hard drive is a good idea, especially now they're cheap. All so when that day comes (and it will come) that you need to reinstall Windows, you can do it without breaking into a cold sweat.

3 comments:

Tara said...

Which Sims is your daughter getting into? The original Sims, or Sims 2? My computer can't handle Sims 2, but I LOVE "The Sims".

Anonymous said...

Shhh.. don't tell people to do sensible things like back up their computers, you'll put the whole tech support and recovery software industry out of business :)

FW said...

Tara: The Sims Triple Deluxe, it's The Sims plus some add-on packs. This week I also picked up another couple of add-on packs. We're probably the same re: Sims 2

ElizaF: Yep, doesn't help when the modem dies though :-(
(see next post)