Thursday, September 07, 2006

Stranger Etiquette

I've heard it said that men think about sex every minute of the day. I'm not sure of the research provenance of that claim but its an interesting thought, the implication of the claim is that women think about sex a lot less than that. I wonder whether that is true or not?

As I go about my travels I often look at women. It's at a very superficial level and while I don't fantasize in a sexual way I do often think how would I ever make some connection to this person? What would I say to make her smile? I guess it's some kind of insecurity on my part, a need to be liked. What always happens is that she walks on by and leaves my thoughts. Once, I was on a tube train and opposite sat a lady who I thought had a very pretty face - she was not young and not old, maybe thirty or just a year younger I guess. I left the train and somehow I found I was standing on an escalator with her just behind me. Something came over me, a desire to move out of my comfort zone of not talking to strangers - especially pretty women. I told her she had a very pretty face and she thanked me. I said no more and continued on my way, glad that I had made some sort of brief connection, I hope she dined out for a while on a stranger saying that. Perhaps, she instantly forgot it. I have urges to do similar things and I struggle to control them knowing that probably I'd make a fool of myself and also likely I would offend or a comment would be misconstrued in some way. It's safer not to talk to strangers but is safety always a good thing?

3 comments:

Tara said...

I highly doubt that she forgot about that compliment. It's a wonderful, random compliment from a stranger and I'll bet it made her day.

FW said...

Well, I hope it did!

FW said...

Good points, especially true in today's society.

My post is sort of directed at men who lack the self confidence to approach women. I've been there, love unspoken and all that. You can put yourself through hell when actually speaking to someone you find attractive about something less bland than the weather isn't so bad.