Thursday, February 08, 2007

Weekend Ahoy!

It's a Boys Weekend coming up as the women in my household are spending most of the weekend travelling to Disneyland Paris and back. I hope they have a great time while they're there and especially that the snow stays away. It's freezing snow tonight so tomorrow is not going to be good driving first thing.

Not too much to say in this post, it's been a tiring week at work and I haven't slept all that well this week - I think its the cold.

I'm working my way slowly through the first series of Star Trek on DVD. Admitting you are a Star Trek fan is a little risky because some people take it really seriously - doing degrees in Klingon and dressing and living like intergalactic tribes. It's the best series for me and I love the young William Shatner in it as Captain Kirk. It's the series I saw as a kid and I remember being fascinated and scared at the same time while watching it. So many of the gadgets I saw as a kid in Star Trek have actually come true in todays world of technology. Bluetooth earpieces, communicators (3G phones) and the like. There is a sort of camp quality to the stories as well. I love the sets and costumes. And the women were really awesome - not skinny models but women with curves and an attractive shape. What's your favourite version of Star Trek and why?

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I loved Star Trek: The Next Generation because I had an ubercrush on Wesley Crusher a.k.a. Wil Wheaton.

AlienCG said...

I've never been a Star Trek fan. I'm on the opposite side, I'm a Star Wars fan.

I'm currently working my way through the X-Files.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

got to love the X Files.. good show.. Hope you all have a great weekend..it will be fairly quiet around these parts...

Tara said...

I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but I guess I would have to go with the original. I liked the theme song and the dialogue in the beginning by Captain Kirk. Also, when I was younger and one of my brothers would be watching the show, I used to think my mom was whistling for me, but it was the ship's doors opening. Didn't they whistle when they opened and closed?

laura b. said...

The original version was the only one I really ever watched. I liked the way James T. Kirk was such an intergalactic ladies man.
I saw some of the Star Trek movies too and I think my favorite was number two...The Wrath of Khan. I'm pretty sure I cried when Spock sacrificed himself for his homies.

FW said...

Rachel: I liked The Next Generation because it regenerated sci-fi and created a demand. I don't remember watching it as avidly as the original Star Trek but I think that was because of the timing.

FW said...

AlienCG: I loved the X-files, series one and two. I lost touch after that, again probaby due to programme scheduling.

Babybull40: Hope you had a great weekend.

Tara: They sort of wooshed but there were lots of things that made whistles so I can see where your coming from.

L.B.: Yeah, the first two Star Trek films were great. The first one is my own favourite.