Saturday, February 03, 2007

Computer Nerd

A friend of ours wanted me to look at her computer one evening this week, I get asked now and again by various friends. It was running slow, same problem that my mother in-law had but for a different reason. She had two different security programs running and they were working against each other. She has a teenage boy who likes to play games and do his music on the PC, so it was mainly to help him. He gave me a list of stuff that needed doing but I didn't have much time to do it all, so I removed the security program that they didn't want but couldn't remove themselves - it was a bit complicated but I got it sorted. But then as I rebooted, it wouldn't recognise any internet connection so I left her feeling bad about that even though she tried to reassure me it happens regularly. I refused any payment, as I would for any friend I can help. When I got home, I got a text saying that the internet was OK again and that her son was well impressed with me. Apparently it's much faster now, so I was pleased in the end. So I think the other playground mummies think I'm a computer nerd. My son was even called that by one of his nursery teachers because he likes his computer games so much.

5 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

That's so cute.. I want to be a computer nerd too...lol...

FW said...

I guess its a compliment ? I suppose there are worse things to be called...

Tara said...

I wish I was a computer nerd. I could save myself money.

I was able to speed up my computer just a tad this weekend. It was acting funky so I decided to do a full scan with Norton Antivirus. I usually don't let it finish scanning because it takes so long, but this time I did and it found ten threats. I was able to get rid of all but five, and I think I need to disconnect my internet cable so that I can delete those viruses.

laura b. said...

Computer nerds rule! Be proud of yourself FW :-)

FW said...

Tara: you might be able to schedule a full system scan regularly for when you're not using the PC.

L.B.: Thanks, it is nice to be able to help people out with some things - I have absolutely no practical skills like I'm rubbish at putting shelves up and other DIY stuff.