Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Brits 2006

I watched The Brit Awards show tonight, it seems like a long time since I watched the TV - I watch more DVDs than TV these days. Anyhow, here's my thoughts on the stars -

  • Prince played, doing the thing he does with guitar.
  • I thought Kelly Clarkson sang with spirit, don't know who she is, but her singing was all over the place as she was jumping and running around a lot.
  • Kanye West did a number, but I missed a lot of it, lots of scantily clad females on stage with him apparently.
  • The Kaiser Chiefs won a few awards but I can't explain why.
  • Coldplay likewise.
  • James Blunt, first time I heard the song "You're beautiful" I thought it was nice - my 6 year old daughter loves it - but when you've heard it for the 3rd time you just want to turn it off. His talking voice is very like his singing voice, kind of high and a bit wierd.
  • I liked what Madonna said about British music, so glad she got an award.
  • Glad too Green Day got something.
  • Jack Johnson, whoever he is, performed an acoustic song I thought sounded alright.
  • It was good to see Beck was nominated in the 'international male solo artist' category, I like his stuff but he didn't win it, I think Kanye West did
  • I heard a quick snatch of a song from the Black Eyed Peas I thought sounded great, I think I'll get some of their stuff I like what I've heard on the radio
  • Madonna beat Mariah to 'international female solo artist', though Missy Elliot was in same category and would have been my choice
  • Gorillaz sounded good, infact they were probably my highlight.
  • Paul Weller finished the evening off with some songs and the deserved lifetime achievement award.

For some reason it looked like it was shot on film, this made it slightly disconcerting for me as I'm used to TV awards shows looking like they were filmed just for TV. I thought Chris Evans was a shit host, he's definitely lost the X factor he had as a presenter for me. Boy George gave him a murderous look when he made some comment about having a ton of drugs under the bed in the hotel and calling the NYPD. Boy George didn't have his black neck tonight. I heard he paints that black neck to hide the fat hanging under his chin. It just looks like a desperate attempt to stay young to me, nothing wrong with that but when it just makes you look like an idiot it's time to stop isn't it?

My older brother turned 45 today, fuck! I was reflecting in the shower this morning that I've spent most of my thirties looking after my babies and young children. I'll spend my forties looking after my children as teenagers and my fifties will be almost over before my children have flown the coup to set up their own lives. It was all a bit of a shock. Another frightening thought was that in 1980 I was already 12 and a lot of today's footballers weren't even born then. Sobering thoughts.

3 comments:

Tara said...

If you do want to check out a CD from "The Black Eyed Peas", I recommend their CD "Elephunk". I absolutely love it, and play it on the way to and back from work. The songs have a wonderful beat to them. One of my favorite songs on it is at the end called "Where's the Love?" Oh and I like "Hey Mama" and "Shut Up" as well. I still need to buy their newest CD.

Ryan said...

I was listening to the Brits over here live on XM satellite radio - it's not aired on TV until April on BBC America. Boo.

Kelly Clarkson is the winner of American Idol - much similar to your Pop Idol, with Simon Cowell. Jack Johnson is an American - but we don't know who he is either. Lol.

You have immpecable taste to like Missy! :)

FW said...

Tara, I've bought that CD based on your recommendation - it's great! I had heard some of their songs on the radio, they're really catchy tunes to hum along to.

Ryan, thanks for that info - I thought Kelly looked like she was trying a bit too hard. Missy is awesome, so original, I love her.