Sunday, February 19, 2006

Impending Overnighter

I've got some travelling to do for work tomorrow and Tuesday. I'll be away from home, staying in a hotel. I don't like being away from my family but there is something nice about hotels. I think it's the TV being on when you enter the room, having your own little bathroom and the tiny kettle and cups. I especially like the en suite bathroom and I wish we had one at home, instead we have the Shower From Hell. It zips from boiling to sub-zero in seconds, it's not as it there is any power in the water, if it was a normal shower the water would probably be just right - but because it just trickles out it must get-like super-hot on the way. But then there are days when it is bearable, I don't mean it's powerful because that is the one thing it never is, just that some days you can stand underneath and it doesn't remove the first layer of skin. I swear though that one day, I'll rip that fucking thing off the wall. It usually turns freezing just when you're washing your hair and the shampoo is in your eyes so you can't open them to see where you're stepping. That got that out of my system.

But hotels, everyone has something to say about hotels. I think they're fun but I don't stay more than about a couple of weeks worth of days a year in them - if that. If I was always on the road and had to stay regularly, I think they would lose their charm. Breakfast in hotels is good, eat as much as you like and get free coffee refills. Some people I know at work look up the hotel in advance just to check there is a pool, but for me I'm like "You went to the pool? When?" because we might break at 5 or 5.30pm and then have dinner at 7pm. They use that couple of hours to go to the pool. Me, I'm relaxing with my work suit off and the TV on. I phone the family, make a beverage with the tiny kettle, maybe wank into the toilet (hope there's no hidden camera!), have a poop and take a nice hot shower and a shave before dinner but I'm definitely NOT in the pool. I don't understand how they have the time. I think, deep down, they're doing that just to impress or be superior. It doesn't wash with me though, I know they still look for pens and notepad freebies on the desk before they leave.

Hotels bedrooms are sometimes too hot. The windows can be a bit tricky to open. At least one time I couldn't sleep it was so hot and I couldn't open the window because it seemed lke it was jammed. I stayed up most of the night practically in tears I was so tired. Ironically, in the morning I found out how to open the windows!

3 comments:

Tara said...

You made me remember the bathroom in the home I was raised in. The plumbing, to put it lightly, was not top notch. It brought out the rageaholic in the quietest person.

I have always found hotels exciting, but was never able to sleep in while staying in one, because my family would want to get up bright and early to start the day.

One time I had a hard time getting to sleep because my mom was snoring in the next bed, and my dad's dentures (he was much older by then) were clicking together as he snored. Good times.

Have a safe trip!

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
FW said...

Hey Tara, thanks! I'm exhausted, I'm writing a post about the trip.