Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Smoking

It seems that Film Four is coming to Freeview, yahoo!

There is a now a new smoking ban on smoking in all enclosed public spaces that will take effect next summer. I don't smoke, never smoked and because I have asthma I'm glad I never did try it. I did used to find smoking sexy though, so it never put me off someone if they were a smoker. So, I've never been an anti-smoker it's just that it has never appealed. Most of my friends who used to smoke have stopped or only smoke an occasional fag once in a blue moon. My wife was a big smoker, until she met me and then she stopped. Funnily enough her stopping has made me more of an anti-smoker now than I've ever been. So, I'm glad that pubs and clubs are going to become smoke-free but, like mobile phones in phone free train carriages, how are they going to police it? I can't see some pubs ever being smoke free completely.

Last week I sat on the train opposite a young lady. It was going to be nearly two hours for me and I was a bit bored. For about half an hour I sat wondering what I could talk about and whether it was silly to start a conversation with a stranger. Would she think I was mad? Would she prefer to be left alone. The mind goes round in circles and plays its tricks. In the end I did start the conversation, a simple observation about not being able to fall asleep on the nice, cosy, warm train despite having gotten woken up at 4am by the kids. And boy could she talk! I think I new more about her than a close friend by the end of it. I was glad to be able to say goodbye when my station came up. I suppose it was good in a human-spirit kind of way. It just shows that you think there is nothing to talk about and this massive amount of material just surges forth, a bit like owning a blog sometimes.

2 comments:

Tara said...

I'm not a smoker either and don't intend on starting up. Ever. I don't even like dating people who smoke. They tend to become cranky.

Regarding the conversation you had with that girl (and vice versa), she was probably dying to speak to someone about everything. You helped her with that. You two may never see each other again, but she probably feels much better having been able to spew forth facts of her life.

Speaking of which, this was a long post from me. Let me tell you my life story. :)

FW said...

Tara, best leave smoking out of your life if you can.

As for the girl, I think she was just someone who is always enthusiastic and loud when she gets going. It does show that even the loudest people need an intro..

And I'd love you to tell me your life story, maybe in installments though ;-)