Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Roasting Temperatures

The heatwave we're having seems to be showing no signs of stopping, today was the hottest so far - in terms of recorded temperatures. I'm not sure how accurate a picture the recorded temperature represents though, I'm sure that for people in cities who are trying to do a job get it worse. I had a long day today myself: walking, several trains, a bus and a taxi were involved while carrying my laptop backpack. At Kings Cross Station I stepped off an air conditioned train and walked into the waiting area just by the departures boards where loads of people were waiting for trains and the heat was stifling. Everyone's face was glazed with sweat. My hair is shaved very short so sweat runs down my face quite easily, so I have a glazed look about my face quite often but for everyone to have that appearance was shocking to me. All of my trains were delayed for various reasons but one was that the heat caused the rails to expand, so there were speed restrictions along the route. So I left the house at 8am and got back at 8.45pm. An ambulance was outside a neighbours house, hope she's okay - she lives with her husband and she has epileptic fits, it's not the first time an ambulance has been called but it is worrying. The drugs don't seem to be helping her and this weather might have set her off, you just don't know when its going to happen next. Our bedroom is going to be sweltering, so I'm going to take a shower and just try and stay really still. No bed rocking and creaking tonight (yeah, like that's a regular occurrence!). I'll just have to think of Iceland, penguins and seals. That'll cool me down.

3 comments:

Tara said...

We're having temps up in the mid 80s (Farenheit or however you spell that) to low 90s with what seems like 100% humidity which makes it all so special. Blah. I got stuck in traffic and a huge detour on the way to the gym today and by the time I got to the gym I was just all sweat. Looked like I had run a marathon already.

Just give me a breeze or somethin.

Your neighbor's eplipsy may have given her problems because of the heat. I hope she's okay too..

Ryan said...

I was looking at the weather page in the USA Today, and the entire country was dark red. It was the weather page, I may remind you. It was a warm 101 yesterday. I wanna die. lol.

FW said...

Tara: Tell me about it!
Ryan: Yeah, we've hit the 100 barrier this week. I'm dying too!