Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Important question of the day (ish)

Well not really all that important but I've just ordered 3 DVDs that are from the bargain sale bin at my usual online store for these things - I went for the cheaper non-special versions. My question relates to DVDs that are badged with "Special Edition" or "2 Disk Edition" and it is this: is the second disk worth the extra money or do you usually go for the single edition to save a few pennies? (Bear in mind we've got a 21" fairly cheap, standard TV - no widescreen, stereo or 5.1 surround sound to speak of - ah, shame).

Now, my answer is I would usually buy just the single disk edition but occasionally I've gone for a two disk edition only when it's on sale and my reaction at first has been "Oh great! I've even got the 2 disk edition for the same price as the standard" or words to that effect, only later on to realise that actually I never usually watch more than just the film anyway. Isn't life just too short to go through character bios, directors analyses, original trailors? I'm not a film student for cripes sake! Sometimes the blooper reels can be worth it - if they're extensive, but usually they just last 5 mins anyway.

It's not a world beating question of our times I know but I thought I'd pose it to get a few opinions on whether I did the right thing.

8 comments:

Tara said...

Usually when I buy a DVD, I have seen the movie already, and if I liked the movie and I'm not broke, then I'll buy the extended version. I love when they have the blooper sections. The only two films I've bought where I have enjoyed the second disk more than once were "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Underworld".

I have not gone out of my way to buy extended versions of any of the "Lord of the Rings" movies.

So if you know that you'll sit down and enjoy the extra DVD more than once, then go for it. If you know you wouldn't be interested in the other stuff, well then you've just saved some money. Hope that helps!

laura b. said...

Given the small amount of time I really have to devote to viewing DVDs, I generally just watch the movie itself and never even get to the extras. When I buy "special" and "extras" versions it is usually because it is something that I feel an unusually deep affection for...so I want to have everything that comes out surrounding it even if I don't actually use it.

Rachel said...

If it was a movie that I loved in the theater I will purchase an extended version, but I won't buy one that just has extra features.
If I am gonna pay extra money, I want it in the actual movie not on a second disk that I won't ever put in my DVD player.

FW said...

Thanks all for your thoughtful comments. The movies I bought are ones I haven't seen yet. In that situation, it sounds to me like you'd have done the same.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

when I buy a DVD it's usually fairly cheaper than newer releases.It depends on the movie.. If it's a big blockbuster like Pirates of the Carribean then yes I might consider the extra DVD...If it's a kids DVD then I will buy the one with the extras on it.. for the bloopers and such.. Like Shrek and Ice Age.. they came with extras...

Anonymous said...

You have to ask yourself, do I want the film or do I want the five hours of extras? Then again you have finished deliberating, the sales are on and the whistles and bells version is £4.99....

AlienCG said...

I prefer just the movie and forget all of that extra crap that is added after the fact in order to make more money off the DVD release.

FW said...

Thanks again folks for your opinions! The only additional content I like is "the making of" or the bloopers or "the directors cut" for some special films I am interested in. I'd consider the 2 disk edition for those but not generally for cast commentaries and theatrical trailors. I guess it all just depends on the film though and we all have individual tastes.