Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Mix of Stuff

It's been a very windy day here in the UK and several people had their deaths attributed to the weather. The power of nature is a frightening thing, especially driving on motorways with rain, wind and heavy lorries passing. I always think about what could easily happen to cause my own death...

...maybe death by strange natural forces is on my mind because I've recently seen Final Destination 2 and 3 recently. I'm sure everyone has seen the Final Destination film and there are no big differences between all three films, they are and remain hugely enjoyable shock horror films. Worth a look if you've never seen them. I found myself chuckling while watching because I knew what was coming but first time around I must admit I was a bit scared. They have great replay value and are still entertaining.

The other thing I've got into recently has been re-runs of a TV game show popular at the end of 80s and start of the 90s called The Crystal Maze. It was adults running around a TV studio with four different sets styled as Futuristic, Aztec, Medievil and Industrial. They contained a series of rooms where one contestant from a group of six had to enter and solve a puzzle or perform a task to try and win a crystal that is traded for 10 seconds in the big crystal at the end of the show. This big crystal had a fan that blew gold and silver foil chits and the contestants had to try and capture as many gold chits as they could, any silver chits mixed in with the gold collected are deducted from the final score. I think it's a great show and I really miss this kind of TV.

The other TV game show I really liked was an earlier show called Treasure hunt. It involved two studio contestants talking to a "skyrunner" in outside broadcast who travelled by helicopter to find clues aided by the studio contestants. An adjudicator in the studio made sure everyone played by the rules. I liked the variety of locations and I admit I liked watching Anneka in the tight jumpsuit, the camera viewpoint sort of concentrated on her bottom as she ran infront: at least that's my recollection.

5 comments:

Tara said...

I wrote out a comment for this last night, and when I sent it to cyberspace, that's when Blogger decided it was under maintenance. My whole comment was lost. >:(

I did hear that it was very windy in the UK! When I'm driving down the road when it's windy like that, it seems the wind just takes the wheel, doesn't it? It's also nasty when freezing rain is blowing with it.

Rachel said...

I heard about the wind too. You know it is bad if they talk about it on the news here.
The show that I LOVED that is no longer on the air was The Mole.
Fantastic premise.
It seems like the BBC has better shows that we have here in the US.
Most of ours are boring.
I can't watch horror movies. Even shock horror. They give me nightmares.

FW said...

Tara: I can imagine freezing rain being very scary. And when the wind takes the wheel like that I nearly poo my pants!

Rachel: I watch a mix of British and US shows, I certainly watch more US shows now than I have in the past. Over here it looks like you have some good shows that are really popular. I have to lament that there aren't any game shows on that I enjoy at the moment.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

we have BBC Canada here and I watch it from time to time.. Some of those shows are pretty good.. as for the Final Destination movies are great movies.. I also like the Saw Movies.. Number three was just released on dvd here for rental/buy.. I didn't watch the whole thing but will rent again..

FW said...

I've never seen a Saw movie, probably time I did. I hear good things about them from horror fans.