Thursday, August 23, 2012

Blog legacy

Do you ever wonder what happens to a person's blog after they die? There must be thousands of examples surely?
In a way, a blog could serve as a kind of tribute to one's life, showing part of their personality that would otherwise be hidden. My children don't know I keep a blog or are only marginally aware. My wife similarly. I can't decide whether this is something that they would ever want to read or not. Perhaps after my death they'll read it and possibly understand me a little bit more. Either that or it will all be wiped from disk in error by Google and there will be no legacy.

Imagine if there was no ...Google... (hums tune of Imagine by John Lennon)...it's very hard to do....

3 comments:

Tara said...

Yeah, I wonder what would happen to my blog and my Facebook account. I could probably put those in my will so that my nephews could get the login info. It would be up to them to either delete the blog or whatever else they wanted to do with it. As for FB, hopefully one of my family members could delete my account.

laura b. said...

It is definitely something to consider...as Tara said, maybe something people will want to start planning for in their wills. Interesting.

FW said...

Tara: That's an interesting response, I hadn't thought of handing on my blog over to anyone in a will.
LB: Yes, I suppose there is a possibility that a blog might earn some advertising revenue and relatives might be entitled to the cash. Or the reverse and actually owe money if the terms and conditions change. Food for thought.