Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 Remembered

The eleventh anniversary of that infamous day that changed the Manhattan skyline is upon us. I still clearly remember where I was that afternoon. I just couldn't concentrate on my job and the internet seemed to be really slow, the BBC news site was failing to cope with the demand. I listened to the news on my radio in my car on the way home and I got home to find my wife glued to the news that seemed to constantly be about the attacks even days afterwards.
Those bastards destroyed the iconic twin towers. I was watching the film Moonlight last week with my wife and I saw the towers in that iconic night time view. It hit home again what was lost on that day, not the towers really but what they represented and all the people who worked there and lived nearby.
The events of 9/11 seemed unbelievable at the time. I think it was more shocking because it exposed a free democratic world to the vulnerability that our freedom brings. A shock like the London bombings in 2005 and the 2011 Utoeya Massacre in Norway.  Evil has many forms but none seem as stark as the mass killing of innocent and unsuspecting people just going about their daily lives.
May the souls of all those innocent individuals affected by the events of 9/11 rest in peace and know that they are not forgotten by those who loved them.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

A very nice remembrance. And of course, in addition to lives lost that day, we have these long, horrible wars that have taken so many more. Such tragedy.

BrightenedBoy said...

The embassy attacks earlier this week have really given this anniversary a bite.

The more I see of the Arab world, of women murdered by their own families and protesters willing to commit atrocities because of low-budget comedies, the more convinced I am that the civilization we face is literally insane.

FW said...

LB: True, so much violence and bloodshed. Why?
BB: Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. Yep, the world knows how to destroy itself!