Monday, September 17, 2012

Mankind: crazy world of Earth seals it's own destruction

I've known the world is crazy. But the violence in the Middle East and North Africa (see this interesting Google map) apparently over a stupid film is just beyond belief. Not only is the violence inexcusable but it is surely only promoting the film in the most disgusting way. Would the public at large ever have seen the film had this violence not brought it so much attention? I think not. I know I certainly wouldn't have been interested. I've watched the 13 minute trailer and believe me it is beyond bad, I would say it is sick. There will always be sick individuals who create content. Is not attacking the US, German and UK embassies and burning down a branch of Kentucky Fried Chicken and causing deaths of innocent people even more of an outrage than a film? History teaches us that coordinated peaceful protest is the most effective form of protest, would it not have been more effective simply to ignore and consign it to the depths of obscurity that it deserves? I wonder how many actually involved in the violence have even seen the film? It seems unlikely to me that this is just about the film. We live in a divided world and ultimately if this cannot be healed it will lead to our destruction. How can mankind be so clever at one extreme and yet so crazy at the other? We must pour all our efforts into understanding ourselves better and learn to live as one world in peace.


2 comments:

laura b. said...

There is so much anger and hopelessness in the world. I have to agree that the recent attacks and protests are only about that movie on a superficial level. I do get very frightened when I realize how large the misunderstandings are between us. I hope that cooler heads will prevail and that we do not pass a point of no return.

FW said...

LB: Cool hads and clear thinking seem to have gone out the window with this. I don't know where it will end, it's a desperately frustrating world!