Thursday, September 20, 2012

Privacy debate: William and Kate

The British Royal Family is a global institution that works incredibly hard and dedicates itself to fostering good relations between countries. My opinion is that they deserve some downtime, just like everybody else. The French tabloid should not have printed topless photographs of the Duchess of Cambridge and the public should not have an appetite to view them. Clearly, to me and probably any reasonable person this is an invasion of privacy. I can't see any argument for saying the spying on, illicitly photographing and publishing these is in the public interest. Come off it guys, get real! I hope the legal pursuit the couple have been forced into works.
I'm interested in the outcome of the Leveson Inquiry, I hope that it introduces something that polices the press but in an independent and fair way that still allows important news to be reported and still respects the principles of free speech.

2 comments:

laura b. said...

Everyone, even people who live their lives in the public eye, should have a reasonale expectation of privacy.
The photos of Prince Harry were different...he knew he was around people with cell phones and he was being silly. And I don't see anything wrong with any of that. But the royal couple were in a secluded villa and had every right to their privacy. Are they expected to never be able to relax? Ridiculous.

FW said...

LB: I've read some comments that she shouldn't go topless. But I think that's a very judgemental position. If you were young, pretty and newly married and believed you were in a private and secluded place, I think it's just natural to go naturelle. Everyone deserves some privacy, it'a a basic human right in my opinion.