Monday, September 10, 2012

TLOTR or BOTR

Are you the type of person who thinks Lord of the Rings is really cool or do you find it more Bored of the Rings? I'm interested because I watched the first film in the series with my children this week. It was the first time my son, age 9 (soon to be 10), had seen it. I thought it might scare him a little, it scared me a little when I first saw it - the part where Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) shows Frodo what she might become if she were to have the master ring.

I have read The Hobbit but have not read the books of TLOTR. I knew the story because I listened to a radio dramatisation of the book when I was much younger. The films really bring the story to life though and indeed it is an epic story in an incredibly detailed and believable world. I am not the kind of reader who goes for this genre of fiction usually, probably why I've never read TLOTR.

Well, my son wasn't really scared at all and thought the riders hunting the ring were like Harry Potter's Dementors. The troll in the Mines of Moria didn't scare him either. Neither did the demonic Balrog, which did surprise me because he is quite vocal about good and evil.

I have been considering buying a fantasy book, which I believe is part of a series of books. I keep seeing it everywhere and have stared to wonder what its about, I believe I've seen it is also a TV series. It's called Game of Thrones and the book is by George R.R. Martin. Any idea what it's like?

2 comments:

laura b. said...

Game of Thrones is the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire series. I will be honest...I haven't read them, nor LOTR. Not proud, but I am difficult to motivate to read things outside of my prefered genres. (I love to read, but I am quite lazy about it)

Here is what I know about A Song of Ice and Fire. You will like it if you prefer historical fiction to pure fantasy. It is told in 3rd person POV through different characters...many different characters. It has been very popular since the success of the Game of Thrones television series.

And...that's all I have :)

FW said...

LB: Thanks for the intel :-) I don't know if I'll like it but maybe the thing to do is download a sample for my Kindle and see whether it engages me.