Monday, September 24, 2012

Funnies that ought not be: Alien

As you should know by now I love films. There are sometimes special scenes that I just can't help loving and that drive me to watch a film if I need a lift or feel like I need a bit of humour. I'm not talking about comedy films, they can be good too. In this series of posts I'm going to list for you some of the scenes that I find hilarious but probably shouldn't.

First up, it's Alien. It was probably the scariest film I ever saw at the time when I first saw it. An absolute classic film with lots of great scenes. My moment of choice comes after Executive Officer Kane, played by John Hurt, comes out of sick bay after spending 24 hours with an alien stuck to his face. Everybody is relieved that he is apparently back to normal. After a shower and good wash up he's enjoying himself with his colleagues at the dinner table. But then, oh dear, dear, dear, he coughs, he splutters, he pukes and then starts arching his back and screaming. I love it, so funny! I think one of the characters even jokes that he is overreacting to the poor quality food onboard the spaceship. If it was just a reaction to some bad food, it would be good but what actually happens next is so much better!


2 comments:

Tara said...

Most of that scene made me uncomfortable, but some of the expressions were amusing when they weren't expecting the new arrival. The movie "Space Balls" has a scene in it that's a parody of "Alien" and it shows the alien putting on a little top hat, grabs a cane and starts singing and dancing its way out of the kitchen.

FW said...

Tara: I think it's the tension in the scene that really works. It's probably to relieve some of that tension that I find it so funny. The Space Balls clip sounds very funny too but deliberately so I think!