Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Evil Dead

I have seen a trailer for the remake of the Evil Dead film. I used to have the original Evil Dead films on VHS videotape. I must confess though that I didn't see them at the time they first came out, it was some years later when I was old enough to cope. The violence in those films was so over the top that I came to enjoy them as a parody of the horror genre. Bruce Campbell was fantastic as the main character and they had these nightmare/dream sequences when you didn't know if it was real or his mind turning psycho. I still often think of The Book Of The Dead to this day, years after seeing the films for the first time. It's a great premise for the story.
I much prefer this type of horror film because it plays with the genre in a creative way. I liked The Blair Witch Project for similar reasons. So the trailer for this remake of the original looks pretty good actually, I was surprised. I am slightly critical of remakes to be honest though. It seems like just a cynical way to make more money but on the other hand, think of all the people it helps to employ. So the economy probably benefits from it all. As long as the films are good, I'll keep buying them or going to the cinema. In reality, it will probably be a while before I get a chance to watch this film as it's certainly not one my wife would go to the cinema to see. So it will be a DVD or online experience for me.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

I am not a fan of horror films, generally, but I agree that the Evil Dead films were rather satirical in nature...and that makes them more palatable (ha!) for me :)

Tara said...

I have not seen the original "Evil Dead", but I think I've seen bits of it on horror movie documentaries. I might watch it one of these days out of curiousity.

FW said...

LB: Yeah. I guess they made Sam Raimi's name in the movie world.

Tara: Oh you must, it's definitely worth it!